Officials say residents haven’t fully embraced the state’s stay-at-home-order.
NEW ALBANY, Ind. —The Chief Operating Officer of Baptist Health Floyd is citing Floyd County as “somewhat of a hotspot” for COVID-19.
Dr. Jayakrishnakamal Konijeti said he and Floyd County’s health officer, Dr. Tom Harris, believe residents haven’t fully embraced the state’s stay-at-home-order, which was enacted by Gov. Eric Holcomb last week.
“My simple request is that the community we all love please take seriously the Shelter at Home/In Place order that has been issued. Unfortunately, this is not an extended Spring Break and we shouldnt be seeing as much traffic and activity around town as we have been,” Konijeti said.
Click here for more local stats and headlines
Konijeti says the reason for this determination is because Floyd County has been able to test more than other counties due to access to the Indiana State Department of Health labs and their partnership UofL Research labs.
Konijeti also said that as of Monday, Floyd County has ordered over 525 COVID-19 tests. Out of those tests 200 have been returned with over 50 coming back positive. There are currently 350 pending tests.
“While we try and Flatten the Curve (for which we dont have a timeline), many in the health care space now realize the need to try and control the Apex (or peak of number of cases),” Konijeti said.
As of Monday, Indiana sits at 1,786 and 35 deaths.
Click the player above to hear the latest from Gov. Eric Holcomb.